UNCLAS//N05030//NAMES/ Stuart v's Stewart THE REAL STORY

From: research66 (research66@MKTSurvey.net)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 07:15:58 PST

Mr. Greville, all hands:

The U.S. Government in general and the War Department specifically came up
with names through the application of motivational propaganda for U.S.
soldiers and public consumption as a result of the way we entered WW II -
getting out asses kicked because we were not prepared. This was in
consonance with all the other propaganda we put out as bits and pieces of
rallying cries, slogans and names that all on any front, including the home
front could rally around.

This started after WW I and before WW II. Before WW II, you have different
names applied to rifles - "Springfield," "Enfield," "Johnson," "Thompson"
and shortened to "Tommy Gun," and "Garand," - none of which were in the
original War Dept publications. This practice was proliferated throughout
the war and survived when the third generation armor came out at the end of
the war and into Korea. M47/48 and 60 series was the "Patton;" M24 was the
"Chaffee;" M41 was the "Walker Bulldog;" current M2/3 "Bradley;" M26
"Pershing;" M18 "Hellcat;" M7 "Priest;" M551 "Sheridan;" M22 "Locust;" -
all U.S. names that were designated by the War Dept, later Dept of the Army
- the same department that came up with "Mustang" for the P-51;
"Thunderbolt" for the P-47 and "Lightning" for the P-38; "Mitchell" for the
B-25, "LIberator" for the B-24 and "Flying Fortress" for the B-17 - none of
these names, especially the ones from Korea, I do not think that anther
country had anything to do with naming them specifically given the history
of naming conventions employed by the USG and the US military although I
would give the UK credit for coming up with the idea in general given their
history of naming - we simply followed suit.

R. S. Rayfield, Jr.
Maj USMC (Ret)