Re: [MV] DOT 3 in a Deuce?

From: Jumpmaster (the_real_jumpmaster@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 21:00:52 PST

--- DDoyle9570@aol.com wrote:
> Well, way back when M35's were just M35's (not A
> anythings), they did not use silicone.....so not
> using silicone won't hurt them.

To clarify, I believe this is correct only if the
master cylinder has not had silicone brake fluid in it
before. For example, if it had DOT 5 and you drained
it and put in DOT 3 and then decided to go back to DOT
5 without properly evacuating the system, you could
have serious problems. Some Einstein that had my
M38A1 before I did managed to do that. I put in the
proper DOT 5 and the wheel cylinders and master
cylinder all cratered. I have a web page outlining
detailed instructions on repair of such a disaster and
it involves copious amounts of denatured alcohol and
an air compressor (and new wheel cylinders and master
cylinder).

> What is the nature of his master cylinder failures?
> I recognize mixing brake fluid types is not a good
> idea...you get all the
> disadvantages of both types and the advantages of
> neither, but I am unaware
> of any reactivity problems.

Please see above...voice of experience. I lost a lot
of expensive DOT 5 before being able to rebuild the
system. And I mean "rebuild" in the purest form of
the word.

T. Bloxom
1985 M1009 CUCV