M37 broken valve spring

From: Chris Waymire (chris.waymire@timberline.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 07:22:18 PST

Hello List,
        I'm doing a little engine work on my 51 M37 for the first time. The
exhaust manifold leaked and the engine developed a tapping sound once it
reached temperature.
        So I've got the manifold off now and I just opened up the valve
covers. I noticed two things, first, one of the springs is broken. Second,
many of the valve lock nuts aren't tight. I've never gotten this far into an
engine before. What's the best way to fix the spring? Also, can I tell if
the valves need to be adjusted or just tighten the nuts? I'd really
appreciate some advice.