SUMB

From: m35a1@juno.com
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 06:54:54 PST

For anyone who's interested, these are excellent trucks. I had a habit of buying and importing Unimogs, and the last time, I bought an SUMB also. I had one of each at the same time and did a comparison. The SUMB is more comfortable and easier to get in and out of (the doors are taller), the seats are more comfortable, the cab is larger, it has roll up side windows, and the windshield tilts out in addition to folding down. It is stronger, and will do 60 mph all day long, due to the V-8. It is a 4-speed with 2-speed transfer case as opposed to the Unimog 6 speed (2 low gears) with single speed case. (Strange, tho, the shift pattern is reversed from what we're used to). The Unimog can change from 2 to 4WD on the fly, the SUMB cannot. The Unimog can lock both differentials, the SUMB can lock only the rear. The running gear is almost the same, and both have portal axles (it has reduction outdrives at the wheels like an HMMWV), so ground clearance is the same at +/-19". The overall !
dimensions are just about the same, with the exception that the SUMB is taller. All in all, I prefer the SUMB over the Unimog. The prices are running about the same @ $6500, but an excellent SUMB can be had for this price, where you'll get just an OK Unimog for the same amount.