Re: [MV] SUMB characteristics

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 07:09:50 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <wwd@netheaven.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 12:29 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] SUMB characteristics

> In <list-1529492@skylee.com>, on 02/01/2002
> at 07:58 PM, Geoff Winnington-Ball <gwball@sympatico.ca> said:
>
> >Richard Notton wrote:
>
> >> Certainly, this end they're a very cheap and capable truck....
>
> >If I'm not mistaken, our friend Nigel [Watson] uses one to haul his 8,000
> >lb Universal Carrier (on a custom-built trailer) around to local shows in
> >Scotland. Too slow for the long haul, but a fine truck indeed.
>
> >I STILL can't understand how you fellows can afford the cost of petrol
> >for such luxuries, though. You have our undying admiration for your
> >patience...
>
> Well, if you heat your home with firewood you can save 500 to 1000 gallons
> of oil (diesel fuel) per year. Applying some of this 'credit' toward the
> wretched excess of Mil-Veh-play is not entirely an inequitable indulgence.

Ah, good theory to keep the green toys fuelled but invalid in practice.
99.9% and 44/100ths of people with oil heating dropped it 20 years ago being too
expensive; wood is imported for what relatively little is used in house
construction (as they're brick/block), most all trees have a preservation order
by default. You wouldn't want to invest in a wood-burner unless the supply of
fuel is guaranteed.

For the vast mass here to operate the green machines it comes down to parsimony
and frugalness elsewhere; an understanding wife/partner with little
materialistic aspirations also helps enormously and these are in very short
supply.

Filling the 623 costs $503.50 US at today's rate.

Richard
Southampton - England
-Solent Area MVT-
http://www.solentmvt.co.uk