'39 Ford / 115th QM Rgt Panel Update

From: Carol Kenyon (Da-Kenyons@webtv.net)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 22:01:17 PST

Jim Gilmore intelligently asked if my panel, since it is unusual, might
have been converted
by Todd Shipyards in Los Angeles.
  Well, here's why it wasn't converted by them
according to my reasoning.
 1) My truck says "Todd Shipyards" on hood, doors, etc. "Todd Shipyards,
L.A. Division" didn't exist until AFTER WWII. Todd ran that shipyard
but it was called something else
during WWII. No evidence of the earlier "L.A.
Shipbuilding Co." anywhere.
 2) Original funky dark brown paint. Like the
UPS trucks. Who else used this funky color besides the US Military ( in
this case CA.N.G.)?
This is the first of three coats of paint.
 3) Funky dark brown paint is on conversion as
well as fenders, doors, etc.
 4) Next coat of paint is the more usual OD Green. Why would a
shipbuilder paint their trucks US Military colors? They didn't!
 So, here's the latest UN-documented history
of my truck.
 1) ENGINE (optional 95hp) built on Feb.27th,
1939. No way this truck was delivered for use
AFTER conversion until Spring '39 at the EARLIEST. Assigned W-33742
(USA Number).
 2) Delivered to 40th Division, California National Guard, 115th
Quartermaster Regiment.
 3) 115th QM Rgt disbands March '42
 4) 7th Regiment California STATE Guard obtains truck
 5) ? 223rd ? Infantry of the 40th Division, CA.N.G. inherits truck for
? purpose in '46 or '47.
 6) 1954 (according to DMV stamp on block)
Todd Shipyards Corporation obtains truck. Rust problem starts forming
down by the L.A.
Docks. They apply weird 4" wide diagonal yellow stripes over green OD
paint.Yellow stripes evidently is a common marking at the docks. Apply
brass ID tag "TB-766"?
7) Todd in L.A. goes belly up mid 80's. Truck finds its way to
"collector" in Tranquilty,CA, about 250 miles North.
8) "Collector" passes away, but not before much rust and body damage
competently repaired.
9) Romo's Auto Wrecking in North Fresno,CA
obtains truck
10) Don Kenyon stupidly buys truck Sept.'99,
wastes thousands of hours of his free time.
  My NARA Researcher, Greg Murphy is turning
out to be a DUD. Won't send me the "short contract" so we can begin
searching NARA.
ANOTHER road block!
Thanks, Don