WWI Trailer found in Michigan

From: mpdoepel@concentric.net
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 13:04:30 PST

Just pulled out of a woodlot I've driven by for 20 years. Surprisingly
good shape...here are the particulars....
Data tag on body reads:
      ORD. DEPT No. 32428
MCH. SHOP TRAILER BODY
        MODEL 1918
AMERICAN CAR & FDY CO
                   1918

The metal body is 20' long by 7' 5" wide and is a drop side style.
Framework for top still in place but most of tongue and grove pine bead
board sides and top have succumbed to the Michigan weather. Still
remnants of tar paper used to waterproof roof. Hardware in place for
wooden sides that hinged outward at the top. Metal sides go up approx.
30". Overall height of trailer is 9'6". Wheels are cast iron with
original Goodyear 36 X 7 hard rubber tires (not bad shape). Single
tongue with steerable front axle....heavy leaf spring suspension...and
appears to have brakes. Each end has a full size door with a "tailgate"
that folds down with landing leg to make 3 foot deep platform full width
of trailer. Has mountings for pioneer tools.
I was contacted by farmer as to what he should do with it.....he has a
buddy interested in making a hay wagon out of it. I think I've talked
him out of that idea...and believe he will donate it to the Michigan
Museum of Military Transport (MMMT) where I sit on the board.
OK....now, what exactly do I have sitting out there....are they common?
used for?
anyone know of another one? pictures? what were they pulled with?
HELP!! Have digital pix but no place to post them....if you really want
to see it I'll see what I can work out. Any input/information on this
rather large chunk of iron will be greatly
appreciated................Thanks a bunch!

Mark P. Doepel / MMMT / GLMVPA / MVPA
1942 GPW
1943 MB
1944 WC-52