1022 dolly sets

From: John Stewart-Smith (john_stewartsmith@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 23:33:25 PST

Rick, our unit had 64 dolly sets (8xM1022 the big ones), (42x M720 the
little ones) and (14x M8?? the medium ones). In 6 years of towing them all
over Europe we never blew a pump on the M1022's. We did blow several pumps
on the small old M720's. I never saw any damage to the seals except when we
overloaded the M720's. I forgot the M series number on the medium ones and I
can't find my GOV licence.
We towed 30' containers with the M1022's and the containers alone weighed
39,000 pounds, so we had to use the 900 series 5 tons. If your 10'
containers are empty or light, a deuce works fine.
We never plumbed one pump to two cylinders because we had to level our
equipment on uneven terrain in order to operate. We would then use leveling
jacks and leave the cylinders at partial extension for days or weeks. It
should be feasible if you are not lifting heavy containers, but I doubt that
both cylinders will activate the safety locks at the same time. The cylinder
that reaches full extension first may blow the seal when you continue
pumping the slower cylinder. It would be safer if you continue to raise each
corner at one end a few inches at a time. Although we normally used 4 people
at once, I have raised and lowered them by myself on occasion and I know
that is is a pain in the bum.
Remember, the Dexron III solution was for emergencies only, definitely not
approved by DoD.
-John