Re: [MV] M151A1 HELP

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 05:27:45 PST

The previous posts are all good information, but I'll add the experience
I had with a lousy idle on a M151A2. The engines are very, and I mean
very, touchy when it comes to vacuum. The previous owners had to
choke the engine quite a bit to get it started, so we went to work on the
fuel system. The MUTT had gotten to the point that it needed a push start
to get it running. We installed new intake manifold gaskets and tried a
known good carb to no avail. A friend on mine peeked at the engine
and found the problem in a matter of minutes. We even installed the
distributor from my own A2. I had not messed with the carb removal or
installation, so I didn't know that a lock washer was missing, my helper
had done this work. Well, my friend found that the lock washer had
been installed between the carb gasket and intake manifold causing a very
slight, but enough, of a vacuum leak to create misfiring at idle. A new
gasket and the washer in its proper place solved our problem.
Joe Young