Military VW "Things"

From: Kenneth H Koch (m35a1@juno.com)
Date: Fri Feb 08 2002 - 05:15:24 PST

Years ago I discovered the Kubelwagen. Being young and poor, I could not
afford to buy one. So, I modified a Thing and turned it into a pretty
good copy of a Kubelwagen, right down to the sloped hood and round
fenders. I have since discovered that the civilian Thing imported into US
in '73 and '74 was actually a civilized version of a military 181, or
modern Kubelwagen. A friend of mine in Ft. Lauderdale has 2 of these
available, if anyone is interested. I think they are in the $8000
bracket. Contact Max at GOEKAR@aol.com
If this link posts, you can check out what they look like and read about
the history.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Factory/1949/181_1-3.htm