M35 brake problem

From: k, d, j, m, & a miller (thisoldhouse@libcom.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 04:20:25 PST

hi.
After an hour or two of driving my deuce around yesterday morning, I
went to stop at a red lite only to find the brakes didn't work. It
feels
like someone put a brick under the pedal. The pedal goes in about
a half inch to an inch and then stops solid. Pushing harder has no
effect.
No braking effect at all. Carefully taking the truck home using the E
brake,
I did get the brake to work once but then back to the same symptoms.
When home, I shut down the truck and released the air from the tanks.
The pedal than felt more "gushy", like it is supposed to.
Any ideas?

I have to be honest and say that I very rarely purge the air after
rides.
When I purged the tanks, a bit of water and small bits of rust? came
out. Could I have dirt and rust causing this problem?

After starting the truck and building up pressure and then purging air
several times, the brakes work more often but still exhibit the "brick"
effect often.

Thanks in advance for any help...

kurt

---