RE: [MV] CAUTION!!! Beware of Magnesium batteries

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 08:31:10 PST

I am guessing that these magnesium batteries are not rechargeable?

When I first saw the post "magnesium batteries" I thought that it was a
joke.
Magnesium in batteries? What sort of an advantage do those have? Light?
Powerful? Long lasting?

Metal fires are nasty stuff, but magnesium is one of the, if not the most
violent chemically reactive metals you can find in the periodic table. It's
reaction with hydrochloric acid - even if diluted - is so violent that it
literally explodes! For pyro's its a must have: Very intense lighting
effects... =)

METAL FIRE TIP:

Water does not put out metal fires, it only adds to them! You need a TYPE D
fire extinguisher for metal fires. You can also put out a metal fire by
removing oxygen from the combustion. Keep some sand or other inert powder
nearby to smother the fire. Then, near by, lay out a small patch of the
powder - shovel up the metal fire and lay it down onto the patch.

Please guy, be very careful with these things.

 - Aaron

"Let me show ya something" - Fire Marshall Bill