Re: [MV] SHACKLES

From: John Souza (John.Souza@ci.fresno.ca.us)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 15:40:45 PST

I wouldn't put them in til I needed them. Then remove when done.

Another way is to get a grade 8 bolt and nut to replace the original pin. You then can weld the nut on the bolt. You will lways have he orginal pin if you wanted to go back to it. I can't speak for the M-715 shackles. But the 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton shackles are worthless on the front with the original safety wire pin. If you pull just a little bit off to one side the safety wire with shear off and the pin will pull out. It is almost impossible to pull straight on. Situations are just not text book. So, I have used a grade 8 fine thread bolt with a castelated nut to replace the original pin and safety wire. I have crossed drilled the bolt to accept a cotter pin so the nut will not spin off. I take the originals off and put the good ones on whenever I want to pull with the shackles.

John
MVPA #2697
Fresno, CA

>>> Jim Winne <jwinne@nettally.com> 02/17/02 08:44 AM >>>
Hi Group,

Many thanks to all who sent me info on replacement shackles for the rear
end of the M-715. Now I have to figure a good way to
"thief-proof" them so that I can remove them if I need to for any
reason. I thought I might use the mig welder and tack a little blob on the
side of the pin so that it will not come out of the body. I could always
break out the Dremel and grind it off if I needed but since they have not
come out with battery operated grinders (thank god!) I should be pretty
safe. Any suggestions welcomed.

Tnx,
Jim
KB4IVH