[MV] CUCV Starter troubleshooting fix

From: Jasper Welsch (cucvman@jam.rr.com)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 12:59:54 PST

Brian and List,

The CUCVs use a 24volt starter but the solenoid is 12volt. Confusing? I
found this out the hard way. My truck was missing the starter relay when I
got it. To save myself from having to crawl underneath to hot-wire it, I
ran a wire from the 24volt busbar to a starter switch and then to the
solenoid. This worked for a while but started to get intermittent. By the
time I had bought the manual and replaced the starter relay, the solenoid
was burned up and I had to replace it too.
Lesson: Get the manual! I paid $90.00 to MEC for mine. I have since
bought the CD from MilitaryMedia, and then downloaded them for free from
LOGSA. Each purchase was a good investment.

Jasper Welsch at Home
1984 M1009 CUCV

My mechanic took the 12-volt starter to a alternator/starter rebuild
shop. He replaced the solenoid and the brushes with the 24-volt
parts. According to the shop, those are the only parts different between
the 12-volt and 24-volt starters. (I don't know the price since he did
that work for free since we had been battling this problem for a while)
My starter now sounds "normal". I haven't had a problem, yet, but I've
only had it a couple days. I think this will solve my problem.

later,
Brian Mead