Re: [MV] 41 Chev 1.5T dump

From: Robert Barber (rbarber41@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 14:02:40 PST

  The military grabbed a ton of "civilian" vehicles a few
months after the outbreak of WW II. Most 4 X 2 were just
the cab and cassis and they had them converted to what
ever by third party specialty companies ( IE most all fire
engines were done this way )or stripped serviceable parts
bodies off older units and field built one ..

If it went thru the Army then it would have been accepted
by the Army Corp of Engineers and had a acceptance tag put
in. But if it was one of the ones acquired for the Navy /
Marines on an open PO purchase then it would have only had
the contract - vehicle unit no (IE if it was the 102nt
vehicle on that PO,) the hood number would have been
55-0102. No acceptance tag.. A ton of stateside used non
contract built vehicles got pressed into the system this way ..

Doe's this vehicle have any military lights or acceptance
tags in it ? Even if the dash was stripped of these tags
the holes would still be there. Problem is a lot of times
the tags were attached to the headliner cover that was
over the wiper motors. Lot of hackers took them out and
chucked them.. In either case you could do it as a
Navy /Marine vehicle and have a reasonable representation
of an early WW II vehicle

                                Bob B