W Number Placement

From: Carol Kenyon (Da-Kenyons@webtv.net)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 21:12:51 PST

Thanks to this list I now know that panel trucks,
Carryalls,etc, had W numbers on both sides of the hood and across the
rear doors.
  I know that this placement (as everything military seems to be) is
according to a spec.
  My panel is bigger and longer than most (134"
wb and 1.5 tons). Did it also have W numbers on front doors and/or
across the rear most side sheetmetal?
   I see numbers in these areas that might be
consistent with my proposed W number "W-33742"
  Also, in an old "Year" magazine yearbook,I found the first picture
I've EVER SEEN of a '39
Ford 1.5 ton military panel. It has a grille guard
and a very short (4 digit) W number. This particular example is of an
A.M.C (Army Medical Corp) ambulance. It is shown transporting dead Nazi
spies in '42...
  Anyway, I've noticed from old national guard
yearbooks that sometimes the W number is also on the front doors.
 Thanks, Don