CLEANING SMALL PARTS

From: Gene Pantano (truks@cs.quik.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 12:32:49 PST

Gents..there is no better way on earth to clean a bunch of miscellaneous
parts than to haul them to your local radiator shop..and have them dip the
whole mess in their radiator tank...What they use is pretty close to
Drano..but heated..and boy - does it clean. NO ALUMINUM OR POT METAL !!!!!
It will disappear.!! Then , after all is cleaned to bare metal , you can do
about anything you want to do with it...sand or bead blast. I just bought
that big monster cabinet bead blaster..BUT...you do not want to be doing
stuff with a lot of paint on it...takes forever.. Get the paint off firs.. I
guess , if you had a large tank..you could soak the stuff in Drano..it would
remove the paint..then blast. I have been using the torch to burn off the
paint..too time consuming though. Works just fine..but , when you have a lot
to do..too much trouble. I once put some small stuff into my tank of bluing
salts..took the paint right off.. That worked fine..same chemicals as in
Drano and the radiator stripping chemicals..just a bit different..! Have
fun...Gene