Re: [MV] CLEANING SMALL PARTS

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 15:07:44 PST

Both contain Sodium Hydroxide (aka Lye) and are strongly caustic. Sodium
hydroxide, especially when in hot water solution, eats aluminum and some other
metals. Aluminum together with an excess of hydroxide makes Drano. The reaction
is strongly exothermic (it gives off heat) and can run away. BTW, lye and grease
make soap, so it degreases nicely.

If you are gonna use this stuff, it's about as corrosive as battery acid, so
wear all the right protection and be VERY careful.

John