CUCVs too!

From: rock1@mindspring.com
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 22:55:01 PST

As if I didn't have enough OD/TAN stuff already! The motor pool is growing
like weed in high summer.

First the Back Story:

Over the last few months, there has been so much on this group about the
CUCV that it peaked my interest. I thought that one might make a good
addition to the motor pool. After several posts to the group, no one
wanted to trade me one for one of my duces (I probably would have traded
strait-up), and not even one dealer tried to sell me one. What has
happened to the American entrepreneurial spirit?

So, I shot my wad on today's GL auction and, sight-unseen, ended up with
three CUCV's, a -1008 (A1? maybe) pickup (the one I wanted) and two -1009
Blazers (you never know when a low-ball bid will fly and the other one
should have actually been called residue). If I can cobble one runner out
of all the parts it should be worth it.

Now that you convinced me of the merits of "deese ol Chebbies" and I have
one, or-ah two or three, you better be as free with your advice. I have an
incomplete electronic TM set from LOGSA (the -10 is restricted, go figure),
and I still need all the help that you can give me!

NOW, to the questions about the Cuke!

Is it safe to tow wheels down? How fast? How far?
When you tow them, is there a plug or tap point into the electrics for
hooking up dingy tow lights? 24V to 12V? 12V to 12V?
Who has a seat for a 1008 pickup? (no telling what else is missing) Can I
put in a nice set of civy take-out leather buckets?
Who has the NSN to Civy Chevy parts cross-over list?
What are the best parts supply houses, new and used, for the Cuke?
I have a few months till summer (and to pay down the credit cards) but,
since the front windows don't open like my Willys's and Duces's do, who did
you say makes the best after-market Air Conditioner?

Electronics, glow plugs, controllers, two alternators, 12V and 24V, all
this modern technology will take a little getting used to. You can't just
fill the oil and gas tanks and go, or use a matchbook to set the points gap
like on a Willys or a Harley 45 flat-head can you?

Go-in Mo-o-bile!

rock1@mindspring.com

Three M-35 Duces:
A2C
A2 w/w
A2 wo/w
Three Willys Jeeps:
DJ3A runner
CJ2A basket case
M-38 rust bucket
Three M-1022s with two 10' ISO containers
One M-832 with an S-530 expandable shelter electronics shop
One M-1008 (maybe an A1)
Two M-1009
too much other OD/TAN stuff to list!

PS: Does anyone have a good used 20' ISO flatrack on the East Coast, DC to
Jacksonville?