Help Needed with GPW Distributor

From: INDUSTELE@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 17:39:28 PST

Gentlemen, I'm having trouble with the distributor that's in my GPW. It's
not the right one for the model, some abortion with a vacuum advance on the
side. Now mind you, my GPW will never, NEVER, be able to come close to
"restored class", but I do like to fix one thing at a time and do it well.

Rooted around in my junk and came up with an early autolite distirbutor,
which the GPW Judging guide says is suppose to be on my 4/10/42 Script Body
GPW, the Autolite IGC 4705. It is in poor, but salvagable shape, so I start
the disassemble process to clean, replace springs, etc. and now I'm stuck.
I'm down to the bare metal shell, and the main shaft. How do I get the main
shaft out of the bare shell?? There's some sort of bearing on top of the
centrifugal arms support bracket that won't let it go down, and there's a
pretty heafty ring around the main shaft that keeps it from going up.
Help!!! I only have one of these and would hate to mess it up, especially
due to ignorance. Can anyone offer assistance? Thanks, Tom Campbell-
Birmingham, Alabama USA