Re: [MV] Engine Colours Jeep GPW Engine paint Colors

From: Claude W. Vaughn (vaughn@totalaccess.net)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 06:34:14 PST

Rob, and List,

There are two shades of gray used on Ford tractors, one for the 9N and 2N
tractors, and another for the more common 8N. The 9N an 2N tractors were
produced during the war (1939 onward and 1942 onward respectively) and I
assume this is the same gray as used on the GPW engine. This is a slightly
darker gray than used on the later 8N (1948 onward) tractors. Both colors
should be available from a "Ford" tractor dealer or automotive paint
supplier. According to "The All-American Wonder, Volume One" by Ray Cowdery
the Ditzler (PPG) number is 32337.

I am not yet a "Jeep" restorer, but as I understand...

The following parts were usually painted with Semi-Gloss Black:

Air Filter
Carburetor horn
Distributor
Engine fan
Generator
Horn (bracket is OD)
Oil Filter
Starter

Some parts could be painted either OD or Black such as the radiator and the
air cross-over tube.

Voltage regulator had a black wrinkle finish.

Rob, you may wish to acquire:

"The All-American Wonder, Volume One," and
"The All-American Wonder, Volume Two" both byRay Cowdery

There are many other resources available such as g503.com.

Later...

Claude.