M151A1 Carb Mystery Solved

From: Tony Castagno (tonycastagno@verticalthought.com)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 05:30:32 PST

Hello List,

Well the big mystery is solved. As you may recall I was having starting
problems with my m151a1, after playing with a couple of other carbs I
put on an NOS one. It ran horribly but did start. After I made the
fuel mixture a little richer it smoothed right out. I hooked the choke
cable back up, put the air cleaner hose back on and thought I had it
licked. The next day I went to start it cold and it wouldn't start, the
batteries were kind of wearing down so I thought maybe the engines not
turning fast enough to create enough vacuum to get the fuel through that
side draft carb. I hooked up my running HMMWV's batteries to the
batteries in the jeep and cranked (I need to install a slave receptacle
in the jeep), it really turned over a lot faster but still no start. I
was still thinking vacuum leak but I thought I had checked everywhere.
I gave up for the day. The next day I started going through it
systematically and then I found it. The last time I hooked up the choke
cable, the wire that runs through the cable wrapping was hitting the
wrapping before the butterfly was fully closed. I adjusted the cable
accordingly and vroom, she cranked right up... DOH.... Well it goes to
show that it usually is a dumb mistake that causes these simple
mechanical engines not to run. Thanks to everyone for all of their
suggestions. I am still getting a little hesitation on acceleration but
I think that may be timing, plus I want to check the weights in the
distributor.

Thanks,
Tony