Re: [MV] Letters (and cookies!) to Afghanistan

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 22:02:27 PST

Looks like I got caught by the missing messages problem, since this is
the only one I got on this subject. Anyhooo...

Mike, I think you should contact your local Army representatives. You
are sure to at least have a recruiter local to you, if not a base or
perhaps National Guard unit. I am sure they can tell you who and how
stuff can be sent. I know schools, churches, and all sorts of other
institutions have been doing things like this, so they should have
something to tell you.

John,

>Mike, I applaud your thoughtfulness. When I was in the Gulf, we received a
>lot of mail (and cookies!) from children throughout the USA. It sure did
>make a difference to us. All such letters came through a middleman
>(middlewoman), I don't remember if it was 'Dear Abby' or 'Ann Landers'.
>Check with them, the address is available from any newspaper and probably
>also on the internet. The two ladies also used to forward mail (and
>cookies!) to single GI's overseas every Christmas.
>You have no idea how nice this is for the troops. I have seen hard men cry.
>Thank you!

I don't know if the package I sent a Special Forces friend of mind made
him cry or not, but with all the junkfood, toilet paper, and "reading
material" (hehe, morale boosting I can promise you!) was greatly
appreciated as was my heartfelt letter of thanks for his contribution to
my freedom and safety. Don't know what Hellhole he was deployed to, but
he is now off defending our country with a few more oreos and Fritos
under his belt. Er... then again, maybe that wasn't such a good idea in
terms of Military Preparedness ;-)

In fact, I think it is about time to send him another package! Hmmm...
maybe two packs of Charmin and some more Cool Ranch Doritos are in order!

Steve