Vehicle Transport

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 16:08:18 PST

Ok, I now have a Daimler Dingo as well as the Daimler Ferret. I'm
starting to think that I need some means of transporting one or the
other (perhaps both) to shows and such. I've been pondering the issue
of paying for someone to handle transport and the flip side of having
my own vehicle to handle the transport.

Folks that have M151's and older jeeps have about the same foot print
of a vehicle to carry, but the Daimler's are far heavier. Its
something of a challenge. One added issue is the Daimler will be
getting transported to re-enacting events. So I'd need to have space
for personal kit and things I guy at shows.

One thing I struck on (at least conceptually) is the use of a Meduim
duty truck like an Isuzu that has a flat bed. These have GVW in the
range of 13,000 to 16,000 lbs. More than enough to accomodate the
dingo, or the ferret plus the weight of the truck and all the kit I
care to draw with me to the shows.

Has anyone looked at anything like this? What options do folks use
for transporting their vehicles? I'm sort of wanting something that
is in good shape based on the desire for comfort up to events. Add to
that, I'm wanting a vehicle that won't mind a drive of 14 hours on
the highway at 60 MPH.

A flatbed of this sort would be pretty simple to set up for MV
transport. The addition of some better dual use tires would help in
the muddy areas at shows, add a cabinet at the sides of the flat bed
for stowage and add some brackets for attaching the ramps to and it
would be pretty perfect. A coat of OD green paint would complete the
picture and possibly make the cops more standoffish about the whole
thing.

--
--
Ryan Gill                         rmgill@mindspring.com
    1960 Daimler Ferret     1942 Daimler Dingo