RE: [MV] World Land Speed Record, M35, Diesel Class

From: Hutterer, John - Deltec (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 06:10:19 PST

Does this count?

In about 1984 I had to go the DesMoines, Iowa to pick up one of our trucks
that had broken down on a convoy, while returning from Fort Chaffee,
Arkansas. We took a Dodge M880 down to DesMoines from Minneapolis. We picked
up the truck, an M44 multifuel deuce, without turbo, with a 4800 pound
ERDLator (Water Purification) van body mounted on it. It wasn't until after
we got on the road that I realized that the AMSA shop in DesMoines had
forgotten to hook up the speedometer. I figured that, since a deuce would
never do much over 50 mph, and I was on Interstate 35, that lack of a
speedometer would not be a problem. When we got back to our base, the driver
of the M880 asked me if I had any idea how fast I had been driving. He told
me that he had been doing 70 mph in order to keep up with me. I know!! It's
all hear-say, and I didn't even have a working speedometer in my truck, but
I know that we made the trip in a lot less time than I thought that it
should take.

John