Re: [MV] The perils of honesty on eBay

From: Jumpmaster (the_real_jumpmaster@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 21:37:15 PST

--- wwd@netheaven.com wrote:
> Also it is really 'shipping & handling', and
> sometimes I've paid more for this than for the
> item especially where you grab something for
> the opening price.
> The 'handling' helps to reduce their loss in
> these cases.

By the way, that's called "fee avoidance" and is
against e-bay rules. If Ebay finds a seller is
charging "excessive" shipping and 'handling' fees,
they will often end an auction. It's not equitable
for the sellers that don't charge rip-off 'handling'
fees when there are those that have cheap prices but
make their profit on 'handling' fees. I once saw a
seller selling a torque wrench (3/8") and was charging
$17.00 shipping and 'handling' with a buy-it-now of
$10.00.

Ebay doesn't take a percentage of shipping and
handling fees as part of the final value fees. That's
why they get irritated when people do this.

FWIW, I've been on ebay a long time also...was also
able to sell a handgun on there back then. I agree
that there are many problems that need to be
addressed. They are generally responsive when you
report fee avoidance to Safeharbor. It's a shame they
aren't so responsive when someone is defrauded.

T. Bloxom
1985 M1009 CUCV