air speed records for M35

From: Everette (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 02:43:20 PST

The posts on this brought to mind that in 1965 U. S. Army was hold training
maneuvers from old WWII training base in Ark I worked on. The loaded cargo
in planes and flew to Springfield Mo. where the maneuvers were being held
and dropped to troops on ground. Among the many things that were dropped
were some backhoes, and trucks, along with ammo crates filled with rocks and
other stuff. The vehicles were brought back to the base to our place to
load on train and take back where they came from -- I saw backhoe and M35 (I
think was M35) that had been dropped and chute did not open. Have no idea
how fast they were going but when they hauled them back here were big OD
balls of steel with tires embedded in them.

I do not know enough about air planes to know what they used but put the
stuff on big pallet looking platforms and deployed chutes that drug them out
the back of plane. I understand that there is a limit on how fast stuff
will fall, I am sure that whatever this limit is these things quickly
reached that speed when chute did not open.