Re: [MV] vibration problems with M1009 Blazer

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 04:41:44 PST

John,
    I would check the condition of your motor mounts and tranny mount. You
say it is smooth if you shut off the engine. What if you run it up to speed
and then let totally off of the throttle? Does it seem to lessen a little at
that instant? The motor is torqued up pretty good to keep the higher speeds
up. If it lessens when you let out, I would lean toward motor mounts. They
are a problem area for GM diesels.
    What if you leave the engine run, but throw it in neutral at 70? If it
is engine mount related, the vibration should lessen (or disappear) as the
RPM decreases. If it is tranny mount related, it should stay pretty much the
same since the driveshaft will not slow down. Actually, you can probably
rule out the tranny mount, because the driveshaft would still be turning
without the engine running, which you have already tested. That means you
should be able to rule out the bent driveshaft, as well.
    I assume this happens in any gear? If you keep it in 2nd or 1st (if
it'll go high enough) and run it up past 25mph, does it still vibrate?

    Hope this is of some help,
        --Neil