Destruction of Govt. Property, was Re: [MV] World Land Speed Record, M35, Diesel Class

From: Ron (rojoha@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 05:43:15 PST

John:
     What happened to the Stick Jockeys? Destruction of Govt property has
always carried severe penalties. Stupidity by the PIC of a multi million
dollar A/C is usually a career ender.
    I had a fender pranged by a pickup driven by the dependant of a Coasty
on an AF M35A2 I was responsible for. It was in a parking lot at a CG Air
Station during a tour. When we got done with the Coasty SPs, I swung by the
Motor Pool on the AF side to report the damage, you'd have thought I'd
dropped a Special Weapon while drag racing on the flight line. AF SPs and
photos by CIS. Didn't seem to matter that I had a Coasty Ensign as a
witness to the whole thing and a Coasty SP report. Here was an OUTSIDER that
hurt one of their trucks.
    The next year back at the same base, we drew the same trucks. Guess
what. The same truck had the same buckled fender. Which I made sure the
release office noted on the documentation.
    And there was the time we turned in six deuces at the end of two weeks
to the DRCS point at 1500 hrs on a rainy Friday. Instead of the nit picking
turn in inspection, we got a 'Any deficiencies to report? No. Good. Put em
in the yard, in the back rows by the fence. Lock the gate when ya come out
and bring the folders in. You were supposed to be here at 1330. Hurry up, we
close in 20 minutes." Love those civilians. Four months later, the Liaison
Officer gets a call from the DRCS wanting to know where their trucks were?
(Found right where we left them).
    Same DRCS point one year later. We reserved four 5 tons and 7 GP mediums
to support an air show. Base Clinic needed to move 6 Water Buffs from DRCS
to the Air Base, so we let them draw/sign for and use the trucks to move the
Buffs. We signed for the tents, then used the trucks for the show, then
struck the tents and put them in the trucks and turned them back to the
Clinic so they could return the Buffs to DRCS. Three weeks later the DRCS
calls and wants to know where the tents were. We swing by, show them the
signed TID's. They call in the guy who signed off on the paperwork. He says
'Yeah,they brought em back". Manager says they are not on the warehouse
racks. Make a long story slightly shorter, we end up in the vehicle yard,
find the trucks we loaded them into, looked in the back and there they are,
right where we left them.
    Mix different branches of the service drawing equipment from centralized
'rental' supply points, mix in a bunch of civil service folks and the
giggles don't stop. But the one thing I learned was to get a legible
signature and make sure you keep a notebook of these details.

    Ronzo