Re: [MV] Missing Data Plates

From: Ron (rojoha@attbi.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 13:34:11 PST

Aaron, did you look at the inside of the right rear fender well, facing the
back of the of the passenger seat? There is usually a rectangular plate
there, 1.5 inches X 3 inches, held on by 4 Phillips screws, well painted
over. If it's there, you're in business. It is the Willys serial number
plate. I found them still on three of my four M38A1's. Use a good paint
stripper like MEK or Metyhlene Chloride in a glass bowl and put the plate in
the bowl and watch carefully as the paint wrinkles up and floats off. Do not
use a grinder or sandpaper since it is an aluminum or soft metal plate, It
will reveal an MD XXXXXX serial number. With that number, you should be good
to go.

Ron