Further Transport issues with Ferret/Dingo

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 13:47:06 PST

Ok, After poking around a bit more I've come to the conclusion that I
could likely get what what I need out of a MV that has a cargo
capacity of 5 tons or more. I'm hoping to get a setup with a flatbed
(integral or separate ramps) on a truck with tandem axles for the
correct load bearing capacity.

Naturally one of the newer load carriers would be perfect, but I
don't see those working. So, I'll have to go with something a bit
older and modify it.

So what generally available MVs out there are:
        a. Reliable enough, or fixable to being reliable enough for
long distance drives (not many a year, but enough that I don't want
to be breaking down in the middle of no-where).
        b. Capable of carry a 5-6 ton load (4.5 ton vehicle) with
capacity enough for extra bits and the loading gear (ramps, chains,
etc) for supporting the load correctly.

Would an M54 work in this case? I've been peering at some of the GMC
W and T series trucks. Investigation of the tandem axle units shows
that they'd more than fit the bill. Problem is cost, they are
generally $15,000+.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -