Re: [MV] Using converter dollies to move a box trailer or flatbed semi - opinions needed

From: Eric Kozowski (eric@kozowski.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 17:10:43 PST

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 07:51:05PM -0500, Ron wrote:
> Eric:
> Tips please for backing one of these beasts. No matter how many times I pull
> forward to straighten the consist, as soon as I reverse, the front dolly
> crosses up.

the biggest trick is to keep the dolly from turning very much. if the dolly
is visible in your mirrors, it's turned too far. pull forward to get things
straight, then back, using very small movements of the steering wheel. as
soon as you see the dolly move, you have to move your steering wheel to
counteract that. you may have to pull forward and straighten things out
several times as you back. also helps to use low range.

it can be done, but it is difficult at first. once you get the hang of it,
it's no too tough, though it can be time consuming to back any distance.

as someone else said, it's best to avoid situations where you have to back
up when using trailers on converter dollies.

--
Eric Kozowski
Joseph, OR