Re: [MV] Commercial Vehicles

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 19:43:07 PST

At 8:10 PM -0600 3/18/02, Jasper Welsch wrote:
>Mike and List,
>Here are some excerpts from the Mississippi Commercial Driver's License Law.
>This was adopted, under protest, by the MS Legislature 1989. It was taken
>straight from the Federal Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986. Most
>states are similar, but MS only passed the absolute minimum that was
>required. As always, check your own state's statutes. Most are available
>on line.
>
>[snip]

I was looking for this in the Ga code but found every other bit
related to Commercial Vehicles.

>(e) Any vehicle which is used strictly and exclusively to transport personal
>possessions or family members for nonbusiness purposes. "
>
>I would be real careful about using this exemption. If you are going to a
>show with anything to sell, it does not apply. If you are going with your
>buddy and he is not your father, brother and/or cousin, it does not apply.
>If you have ever used your vehicle for one of the above, it does not apply.
>Remember, if Officer Friendly takes you to jail, or you have to pay a lawyer
>to represent you - you still lose even if you win in court.
>[snip]

What they mean here is that transporting "family members" is that you
can get a bunch of your family in a bus and drive them around without
a CDL. IE you can have 16 members of your family in your old surplus
school bus and still be legal. You can't take 16 people that hired
you to take them down the road and back.

I specifically cited my specific use today when I was speaking with
the Ga DMVS (they've aggregated all of the various groups under one
department for Motor Vehicles, used to be it was GaDOT, Georgia State
Patrol, and several other departments that handled licensing and tax
stuff for vehicles. Now its far simpler.

What I said was "I am going to be transporting me two armored cars
that I have collected to shows around the country a few times a year.
Its not for commercial reasons, but for vehicle rallies and such."
She said that she thought it still required a CDL but then it was
similar to what firemen did. Since I wasn't going to be doing for a
job and it wasn't my "office" she still wondered. So she asked her
supervisor. The supervisor said that this is where one gets a
standard Class A license for a vehicle of 26000 or over. Firemen are
a class of people that typically get class A licenses as fire trucks
can easily weigh over 26,000 lbs.

Remember, there are CDL's for vehicles like light trucks that are
less that 10,000 lbs and for limousine's and cabs. Those are
Commercial licenses for a Class C license. There are also Commercial
Class B licenses. In the same token there are Class A, B and C
licenses that aren't CDL's.

Its really straight forward, but not terribly obvious as only a few
people get Class A licenses that aren't CDL's. When you speak to your
DMV people. Ask about a Non CDL Class A or B license. Like what
Ambulance or Fire Truck drivers get for large vehicles.

As far as insurance goes, extra coverage is always a good idea.

--
--
Ryan Gill                         rmgill@mindspring.com
    1960 Daimler Ferret     1942 Daimler Dingo