"O Rings"

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 04:58:35 PST

Hello listers, I thought I might post a warning re a multipack of O Rings
that I recently bought. The General rule applies though... this topic may be
Off to some purists ...but, as a precaution, I feel somewhat necessary. As
I assumed the quality would be at least "Normal" instead of an inferior sub
quality.

I have recently made about a dozen purchases from Harbor Freight.
While for the most part this Chinese Made quality of everything, has been OK
to good... over the wide range of tools etc., unfortunately, the O Ring
kit was most dissapointing.
I would not suggest buying this cheapie multi pack! Or at least, don't use
these O Rings in any equipment that will be hard to dismantle or severely
damaged by fine chards of rubber.

These O Rings actually have a molding seam running completely around their
circumference. If this "extra free" rubber is not parred off... (extremely
carefully) before the O Rings installation, it would probably and
unfortunately dislodge or wear off with normal use ! Also, one size of O
Rings showed the bottom half being eccentric to the top half. !!!

You get what you pay for ...eh . Well, these days that's not always true.
As an example, Sears tools are generally excellent, however, Sears Sale
Price... was often the same as other "quality" brands regular price. I have
pruchased from Walmart socket sets / wrenches made by Popular Mechanics and
Stanley Tools. These Asian made tools are extremely high quality, rugged and
durable. In this case, I got far more than I paid for !

You never know when "quality" is a truth or a lie !
A few years back I bought an expensive Chrysler Factory Rebuild 2.2L engine.
At 20 months normal driving, both oil seals on the camshaft leaked to the
point I had to pull the Overhead Cam and replace these simple basic camshaft
oil pressure seals.
Guess what, this engine's seal were made in Taiwan !
Of course, the Engine Limited Warranty did then ...not apply !

While I have been happy with all the products that I've purchased (basicall
y) this is the first product from Harbor Freight that I would not recommend
to fellow WillysTechers or Military Vehicle enthusiasts

Regards,
Rob P. Upstate Ny area near Syracuse.

'42 MB Been to hell and back, runs fine - looks ok
42'GPW Full restoration - now working on a rusted rusty tub
'44 USMC Radio JeepMB with inboard PTO Radio Gen. Pulley
'46 CJ2A Fully Rebuilt Eng. not yet intsalled
'47 CJ2As Really Rusty one Runs (two jeeps)
Two CJ5s great engines - bad tubs
1, Surrey jeep. soon to have Toyota Celica eng. + Tranny