Re: [MV] M1010 12volt conversion

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 04:49:56 PST

>I have been thinking of replacing the top alternator with a 12 volt one
>and adding a 3rd battery to give a separate 12v and 24 volt systems. Is
>there anyone with a M1010 that doesn't have trouble with keeping the
>batteries charged?

>The only 24 volt items in a M1010 other than the ones listed in the
>M1008 artical is the blowers in the air conditioner. The rear heater may
>be 24 volts also.

If you take a 12v alternator, remove the regulator (if it has one), and
remove the diodes, you then have a multi-phase source of well over 100 vac
on each leg. Which could be directly connected to the primary of a 3-phase
step-up transformer of kilowatt size. So is there any real difference
between 12v and 24v alternators (external regulator type)? Do the 24v alts
seem to have 2x the turns per winding? --
(no sig)