2.5-ton shop van body heater: parts or suggestions wanted

From: Mark J. Blair (mblair1@cox.net)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 19:12:54 PST

Hey, folks. I'm working on installing the multifuel van body heater in
one of my M109A3 2.5-ton shop vans. I don't have the complete kit with
instructions; I'm cobbling it together from used pieces. I opted to
make my own control box rather than adding the necessary switches and
wiring to the big power converter box, since the other high-current
24V stuff I'm adding to the van body makes that bulky power converter
unnecessary. Well, actually I want to a bit of trouble adding the
switches to the converter box and refurbishing all of its ratty old
wiring, and then decided to dispense with the box and build my own
heater control box later. :-)

Anyway, it looks like my truck never had the heater installed before,
because the fuel tank doesn't have the auxiliary draw tube. It does
have a spare return fitting without a draw tube.

Based on the parts shown in the -24P book, my guess is that when you
install the kit, you remove the primary fuel pump to gain access to
the tank's innards, and then either remove that extra return fitting
or make a new hole to install a bulkhead fitting. The draw tube itself
appears to be a piece of tubing attached to the bottom of the bulkhead
fitting with a compression connector and various adapters.

I'm more interested in having a functional heater than having a 100%
correct heater installation, and I'd like to avoid unnecessary labor
(like draining the tank, steaming it out, drilling a new hole,
removing the shavings....). Thus, I was considering the idea of
soldering a straight piece of copper tubing into the end of a brass
nipple or thread adapter, which I could then insert through that 1/4"
NPT return fitting and thread into place. I'd probably leave my new
draw tube a bit short, both to avoid ingesting sludge and so that the
heater can't draw the tank completely dry. Does anybody have any
comments or suggestions about this idea?

Alternately, does anybody have the correct bulkhead fitting to do the
job "right"? A search through the ol' McMaster-Carr, MSC Direct and
Grainger web sites didn't turn up any suitable, affordable, metal
bulkhead fittings... just plastic stuff, expensive stainless steel
stuff, BSPP threaded stuff, and other not-quite-right fittings.

If I do have to install a new fitting, maybe I could come up with a
creative way to use hand and/or chassis punches to avoid both the
metal shavings and potential sparks of drilling, thus avoiding the
need to drain/steam/clean the fuel tank. I wouldn't try this on a
gasoline tank, but am I correct in thinking that this is not a
thoroughly stupid thing to do outdoors on a diesel fuel tank?

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I'm in the process of completely re-wiring the van body as part
of my camper/radio shack conversion, because I didn't like the
original wiring, and it didn't suit my needs. Someday I'll post
pictures and details, but probably not too soon... there's still lots
of work to be done.

--
**** NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS ****
Mark J. Blair, KE6MYK <mblair1@cox.net>