Re: [MV] CNN and ?TANKS? and a question for the lists.

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 12:52:17 PST

At 3:26 PM -0500 4/2/02, Steve Grammont wrote:
>Hi Rikk,
>
>>And a question for the lists,
>>What are the short APC looking things with the front door/hatch that the
>>Israeli's are using?

Heh, I just sent a bunch of links to our newsies about this.

>Got a link to some pics? I have only seen shots of US M113s, which they
>have a LOT of apparently. I'm sure if I saw a pic I could identify it
>for you.

This right?

Note the spokes on the road wheels and the gap between the first and
second road wheels:
http://idf-sp.tripod.com/achzrit6.htm

Rear view with the dismount entry/exit door
http://idf-sp.tripod.com/achzarit5.htm

Note the top side hatches for crew/dismounts and the multiple Machine
Guns (FN MAGs it appears).
http://idf-sp.tripod.com/achzarit4.htm

Look close at them. The have very T-55ish suspension. Those are
Achzarits. They have a funny sort of hatch that runs back past the
engine (still in the rear). The Israelis removed the turret, improved
the armor (apparently), likely changed the power pack and upgraded
the suspension and built a means for the crew/infantry team to exit
the vehicle via a hatch on the rear.

The've done a similar job to a number of Centurians for Engineers to
use as heavy engineer APCs.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                                  SW1025 H -