Re: [MV] M35A2 Brakes -- Grease On Shoes from Seal? (Long)

From: Ron (rojoha@attbi.com)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 00:24:23 PST

    Usually your first indication of seal failure is oil inside your inner
rear wheel or front wheel. The oil gets there by flowing out the axle to
the wheel hub, where the outer seal is supposed to stop it. It then goes
past the seal and into the hub space where the bearings are and washes the
grease out of the bearings. Then it goes past the inner seal and hopefully
gets caught by the slinger plate in the brake drum and channeled out the
weep holes around the brake drum. If the holes are plugged by dirt or rust,
the oil makes it to your brake pads. Make sure the holes are cleaned out
before reassembly.
     When you put the outer seal on, you should cut a wedge shaped piece of
rubberized cork valve cover gasket to fit in the slot and be compressed
under the bearing by the tang on the seal. A SMALL dab of silicone sealant
in the keyway wouldn't hurt. To much silicone could get into the bearing.
    When I reassembled mine, I cut more, gasket material to fill the keyway
under the nuts with the tab on the lock plate pushing the gasket under the
inner nut and the keyway under the outer nut and the threads lightly filled
with silicone sealant. The idea being to keep the gear oil from getting into
the bearing area.
    All of the axle and inner hub surfaces inside the seal 'chamber' inside
the hub should be lightly coated with grease before reassembly to prevent
rusting.
    Do not overfill the differentials because the oil will flow out to the
hubs. If your vents are plugged, the pressurized gear oil will be forced out
through the seals, rinsing the bearings of grease and come out the weep
holes in the drum (you hope) and onto your wheels and tires.
    This is a serious problem that needs to be repaired as soon as possible.
I was told to just make sure I kept checking the gear oil level and topping
it off and I'd be fine. NOT TRUE since the bearings are getting the grease
flushed out of them. They want grease in them, not oil.
    That is why you find all the little rabbit turd round balls of grease in
side the hubs. The grease gets washed out of the bearings and the oil soup
inside the hub keeps the little balls rolling inside the hubs while you
drive.
    Ronzo