Deuce tire size vs speed ?

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 10:00:13 PST

OK list, before I even ask anything, I'm putting on my reflective bunker gear
"cause I'll surely get flamed for this one. I am considering driving my
M35A2 to Ohio this summer. 1200 miles each way. My goal is to maintain 55mph
and keep the rpm's as low as possible. I would love to get to 2000 rpm.
Lets go back to the field expedient book. Anybody remember the part about
tying up a rear axle? If I were to tie up the rearmost axle as high as it
would go, it would lower the center axle proportionately. This would give me
room to run a very tall tire even in single format. I will be running empty
so weight is of little concern. I can pull the jackshaft between axles and
take the 3rd axle completely out of the scenario. I couldn't do this with a
sprag case but mine is an airshift. I would even pull the front axle drive
flanges to assist in the economy dept. This would be a "just to get there"
modification which is completely reversible. Does anybody see a reason why
this can't work? My biggest concern is going from 3 braking axles to 2, then
again the truck will be empty. The biggest problem I see is that my truck
will be uglier than a sack of buttholes but thats better than transporting
the truck on a stretcher (trailer.) Opinions? Flames Away! Kenny

Kenneth Engle
Loxahatchee, FL U.S.A.
AM General M-35A2
Fruehauf M105A1