CUCV Warm starting problem

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 19:36:07 PDT

I'm having a starting problem with my 1986 M1009 (OK, so what's new).

She starts great when cold (within 3-5 turns of the engine), she also starts
great when hot (within 10 minutes of shutting off, she starts with 1 turn of
the engine). However, if the engine is only warm (off for more than about
15 minutes), it takes more than a minute of cranking over to start, and has
a momentary large cloud of white (and sometimes black) smoke.

I have some ideas, and would like to know what anyone thinks...
1. Not the injector pump - it's a fresh rebuild.
2. Maybe an air leak in the fuel line? I just 'cured' a slow dripping leak
on an injector line, and was surprised that the warm start problem was still
there.
3. The glow plug system isn't cycling when it's 'warm' - could that be the
problem? I'm thinking of replacing the "glow plug switch" which is more
like a temperature sensor or (gulp) replacing the glow plug controller.. The
glow plugs are all good (1-3ohms resistance measured) and are all getting
power after I replaced some wiring that had melted...

I'm hoping someone's wisdom can save me some money - and ideas anyone? I
bought the old girl at a steal because the last owner got sick of replacing
starters, so the mystery must be solved!

Thanks,
Nathan Wilkens

1986 M1009 CUCV