Re: [MV] CUCV Warm starting problem

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 07:39:10 PDT

First of all - Thanks a ton for all of the info; in particular, I'm anxious
to check the leaking fuel filter, and try a 'warm' start with the glow plug
temp switch disabled.
I probably didn't give enough info in the first place.. The poor girl has
170k (which normally shouldn't be too bad for a diesel), but the previous
civilian owner was a 'replacer', not a troubleshooter. He worked for a
mil-surplus company that bought lots of trucks and truck pieces, so he had
ready access to replace things he 'thought' were broken. For example, I
have half desert tan tires and green tires, and he told me that replaced the
glow plug controller (how long ago? did he even replace with the correct
kind?). Anyway, I paid next to nothing for the truck and limped her home,
but have rebuilt the transmission and transfer case, replaced the injector
pump, and a whole long list of other things. To add insult to injury, my
local 'repair shop' thought they had the skill and wherewithal to work on my
truck and screwed some things up - There's a mistake that won't happen
again. A little more than a decade ago, I was a 63B in the Army National
Guard at a direct support shop, and I have all the manuals on CD Rom, so the
repair stuff is no problem - and to be honest, this truck is a complete joy
to work on (I suspect we would all say that about our 'babies').
Once again, thanks to everyone for your ideas and support - Hopefully I can
let you all know soon what the problem is.
Thanks,
Nathan Wilkens

1986 M1009 CUCV

Thanks,