batteries

From: Everette (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 17:12:19 PDT

24V Military batteries =

Back in "olden days" 1968 or so. I lived in small town in NE Ark and there
was a fellow that had a successful business recycling auto batteries.

 Also batteries for home electric systems = there were still some places
that did not have electricity available and they had generator plants and
big glass tubs some 2X4X2 feet that were made into batteries. He would put
new plates into them and new acid. I never knew what voltage these were but
other than having to start generator in the evening and letting it run a
while everything seemed to be ok. Now there were not TVs computers,
refrigerators. etc., just lights. If you had refrigerator it was kerosene
operated. Washing machine had gas engine on it. Computer was lined table
and #2 pencil.

At this time most auto batteries had a tar top that could be removed and new
plates put in them. You could purchase a "rebuilt" auto battery for about 8
dollars.

  He told me that he took the "new" plastic topped ones and rinsed them
out - turned water hose on and flushed them out - left upside down to drain
and dry out. Refilled with new sulphuric acid of the
correct baume, left them set for 10 days and if were still charged, sold
them.

I am just repeating what he told me - not a recommendation - I did use the
"rebuilt" batteries with success.

I have some "dead" 24v batteries and I sure have been tempted to try
his. -- Any battery experts want to give opinion???

Everette

Still around the corner there may wait, a new road or a secret gate. Though
I have often passed them by, a day will come, when I shall take, the hidden
paths that run west of the moon and east of the sun.