Re: [MV] MB / GPW leak - Your advice please!

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 20:49:58 PDT

>I have a leak of oil coming out of the hole in the bottom of the bell
>housing. I assume it is the rear main seal.

Has this thing been sitting outside now or in the past?

Here's what we found out that was going on with mine. I had oil comming out
of that hole you talk about. Clutch was full of oil and sticky to drive.
Ignored problem for a while then one day decided to change the oil in the
tranny and transfer. They were FULL of water, totally full. The water had
been getting in, ever so little at a time, thru the main shifter lever. The
case filled up from the bottom up with water as the oil floats on top. The
oil then runs out the front nose of the tranny as there is little or no seal
there (forgot, one jeep had no seal, another one I took apart did??) So
basically the gear oil was being floated out of the tranny. It was hard to
see how you could get that much water in there but when I proposed this
problem to the list some time ago several people came back with the same
scenario that we were thinking about.

If it is in fact the rear main seal then I guess this wouldn't help.

good luck,

je