Roll away generator idea and engine fix

From: Jaxincalifornia@aol.com
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 11:35:47 PDT

I bought this gen recently at auction for almost nothing because it smoked really bad. Hoping it was just stuck rings, I got out the Berryman's, poured about a pint in total into the 4 spark plug holes and let is set up overnight. Course I drained the old oil and gas, put on new filters, plugs, cleaned up the whole works and gave it a pull start... nothing.... next pull Vrrrooom.... it's alive and it does'nt smoke. Runs perfect now. It should too, total engine hours was only 140... it's darn near new and this is so typical of what the government surpluses out... your tax dollars at work!

I don't know how many times Berryman's carb cleaner has saved me a tear down. Highly recommend this additive for cleaning up valves and rings.

Idea for roll-away generator:

If you have one of these 285 lb generators, you know what a pain they are to move around. However, you can add wheels with no modifications. First, I strongly suggest you used good sized pnuematic tires/wheels like you would find for a wheelbarrow. I used 4.00 X 10 tires wheels ($14 ea. new)mounted on an axle of 5/8th cold roll and used the existing bottom bracing tube under the gen side (heavy end) to house the axle. Then I used 2" steel reinforce rubber hose to take up the excess space between the axle and the aluminum tube. This not only took up the right space, but it also acts like a cushioning shim, althought your road wheels will be fine for this purpose.

The front wheels were just 5" casters with foot brakes mounted on some scrap 1" steel tubing. (I used two hard rubber casters off an old tool chest I scraped, but you can buy them at any hardware store.) For the handles, again I used what I had...1" square steel tube extentions bolted to the frame with u-bolts.
Nice balance and one person can move it around real easy.

The wheels are big enough not to hang up on rocks or ruts. The wheels, axles, etc. all come right back off with two hair pins that hold it all together. The front wheels come off with two 7/16th nuts. Best part I didn't modify a thing on the gen., used all existing holes.

My total cost for making this a roll away generator was a mere $36.00, most of that was for the wheels and tires that I bought at a garden shop.

Jack

PS Anyone have an extra copy for sale of the TM for a model MEP-016A, 3 KW, Hollingsworth generator? Would be nice to have.