Re: [MV] Deuce front axle seal removal

From: Eric Kozowski (eric@kozowski.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 08:37:36 PDT

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 01:58:41PM -0700, Mark J. Blair wrote:

> Hi, folks. I'm trying to replace the leaky front axle seals on one of
> my M109A3 shop vans. This is the first time I've done this job. I went
> back and read some archived MIL-VEH postings on the topic, as well as
> the TMs, but I'm still having trouble. If I understand things
> correctly, I should be able to fit an appropriate tool behind the axle
> seal, and pull it and its retainer out. It appears to be pressed in
> from the inside of the part that I'm assuming is the retainer; I can't
> actually see the outer edge of the retainer, so it actually looks like
> it's a machined part of the end of the axle housing. Am I on the right
> track?
>
> Anyway, I've been pounding away with a 2-pound slide hammer type pilot
> bearing puller, and the part that I assume is a retainer (and not
> actually part of the axle housing) hasn't budged. Does anybody have
> any advice? In particular, does anybody have any advice that doesn't
> involve buying a much more expensive hydraulic puller? :-)

I just asked a guy I know that's a mechanic in the Army. He says they
just use whatever works (small pry bar, screw driver, etc.) and they
just rip the old seal out. This does destroy the old seal. He also
recommends that you use a seal seating tool to install the new seal.

--
Eric Kozowski
Joseph, OR