M38A1 Emergency Brake Help

From: Sean Bathrick (Bathrick@nachem.com)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 16:10:59 PDT

Who else on the list knows the pain of reinstalling an M38A1 emergency brake assy. I have all the parts and have done my best, via the Service Manual, to install the emergency brake, to no avail. Are there any hints that some knowledgeable lister can pass along to me. The place I am in right now, is it is all hanging in-place. But the only way that it worked without the shoes binding on the drum, was to have the cast tab on the lever, under the drum vs. inside where it appears it should be. So the lever hangs down past the skid plate and the clevis on the end of the operating rod misses it by about an inch. ARGH!!! I can't seem to assemble it with the tab on the inside of the drum without the shoes binding. Please help, any and all comments appreciated, as well as sympathy at this point.
Thanks
Sean

MVPA 14222
53 M38A1