Omaha Beach revisited

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 14:11:36 PDT

Nigel,

I'm going to stick my neck out here and offer an opinion that might not be
so popular but one that I believe is spot on.

While I appreciate and fundamentally agree with your feelings about the
sacred quality of the Normandy beaches, the natural extension of your
position would be that any piece of France liberated by the loss of allied
life is sacred and therefore should be left undisturbed...as such, that
doesn't leave much of France left for the French.

As I recall, the position of the governments who sent their young men to
fight and perhaps die there was to liberate France (and the rest of occupied
Europe in the bargain) so that those countries could run things in a manner
that suited them best without interference from outsiders.

The fact that France is in a position to choose what it best for France is
the TRUE monument to those young soldiers and the goverments that sent them
on the great crusade.

...and some of them were in MV's (mandatory content required).....

TJ