M35A2 winch gear oil

From: Anderson Neal F DLPC (AndersonNF@ncsc.navy.mil)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 15:32:19 PDT

Thanks to all who commented. There isn't a clear consensus, but GL-5 wasn't
around when the truck was built, so GL-3 (which is non-EP)might be safer -
if I can find any!

Ken's mention of bronze reminded me of my Jeep experience (93 YJ). After
buying it used, I had the dealer check it out & change the fluids. They put
GL-5 in the manual trans. When I checked out the Daimler-Chrysler TSBs, I
found one that said use only Mopar part # such-and-such (GL-3) in the trans
because it contains no sulfur; the GL-5 has sulfur that will eat up the
bronze synchronizers in the Jeep's Aisin AX-5 or AX-15 trans. When I told
the Jeep dealer about it they were surprised and began stocking the right
lube. I drained the fresh GL-5 and refilled with the Mopar part #
such-and-such (GL-3) (expensive).

Now I'm wondering: Are there any bronze (i.e., copper-containing) parts in
the M35A2's trans or xfer case?

Neal AndersonNF@ncsc.navy.mil