M35A2 Directionals (continued)

From: Ron (rojoha@attbi.com)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 11:02:04 PDT

     Food for thought...

 In the previous part of this thread, one person said the Directional lever
had to be grounded to the steering column and someone else said it didn't
make any difference. And they were both right.

     A friend brought over a bunch of directional signals for me to choose
from today, most metal and a couple plastic. He mostly played with MUTTS and
when checking T.O.s to see if they worked would just plug them into the
harness, ungrounded and they would flash.
   He put the first metal one into the harness to test, and it no work.
Another one and ditto. A third one and no joy. Must be the solid state
flasher, right? I happened to walk around the front of the truck and
directional was flashing??? But the indicator wasn't flashing. So obviously
the bulbs are burned out?
    We then hooked up a plastic bodied one, and it worked like a charm.
Swapped in a second one and it works fine.
    Hooked up a metal bodied one again for giggles and the directional
flashes but the indicator does not, until we brush the mounting bracket
against the one on the column and FLASH goes the indicator.
    Make the story shorter....ALL the metal bodied ones have to be grounded
to the column, but the plastic bodied ones are grounded through the wiring
harness and work just fine plugged into the harness but did not need to be
grounded/mounted on the column.

    So there......

    Ronzo