M35 steering shimmy problem update

From: Bill & Bonnie Prestin (Bprestin@tir.com)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 03:58:32 PDT

Hello everyone,

     Thanks for the replys you all sent.
    Well our baby was born last Monday so I didn't get a chance to look at
the truck until yesterday.
     When I bought the truck It did not have a shimmy problem & during the
rebuild I had everything apart. So I figured I had caused the problem. By
the way that article in MV Magazine was sure timely! Well I jacked it up and
moved everything around. Everything feels real tight except a tiny movement
if I pull out real hard on the top of the right tire. It is very small (you
can't see it move, only feel it) I will check into that more later.
     I can turn the steering wheel about one half inch without moving the
wheels(the book says up to 1 inch of steering wheel play) so that is good. I
also found that the toe in is not correct. My manual says that toe in should
be 1/16-3/16 inch. (or 1/16-1/8 on trucks with single 1100 x 20 tires) Mine
has 900 x 20 tires. I measured from the edge of the rim in case the tires
are not even and I have a toe out of 1/4 inch.
     I was thinking that the distance out from the centerline of the axle
would be important for the measurement. 1/8 inch on the rim would be more
toe in than 1/8 inch on the tire.
    When I make my adjustment for toe in. Where should I measure from on the
wheel. Edge of tire or rim??

Thanks again for all your advice,

Bill Prestin
bprestin@tir.com